Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday Snippet - A Madrona Road Challenge


The Columbus Modern QG participated in the Michael Miller Madrona Road fabric challenge.  

We added another layer to the challenge asking the project to reflect "Stars and Stripes".
This years theme for NQA show held in Columbus, OH
 is "Stars and Stripes" 
If they accept our request we will have our projects in the show.

Those who participated were given 1 FQ and 6 F8s.  
The only thing we could add was more of the MM MR fabrics or solid fabrics.

Sometimes if we just "let the process happen" vs "thinking it to death" 
we come out well ahead of the game.  
This was so simple it was crazy.  



I used the solid yellow FQ for the back cutting it and re-sewing it to make it longer,  cut random pieces of the F8s for the "stripes".  Layed those pieces across the yellow background 
and zig zagged them down.

 I cut random pieces for the wonky
"star" points and matched the center square with the stripe it was resting on -zig then zag.


 A close up of the organic straight line quilting. 



Here are the two "solid" fabrics I added.  
Gray for the backing and a black binding.
AND a better look at the quilting.


Oh yeah, I had some scraps so I made a
Lazy Girl Design 'Run Around Bag".  
This is my favorite bag to take to quilt shows for hands free shopping!

Front

Back

Here is the link to the Modern Quilt Guild - Madrona Road FLICKR site to see oodles of fun projects all made with the challenge fabrics (two color waves).
.  
Tell me if you enjoy a fabric "challenge" and why or why not?  


1 comment:

  1. I love the modern look and colors of your little quilt. You're going to be stylin' wearing your little run around bag.

    Hope you had a nice Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.