Saturday, May 10, 2014

FOR PINKS SAKE - BLOCK TUTORIAL and BLOG HOP

Beginning TODAY and every other Saturday from May to July
Anna over at Life Sew Crafty  is hosting 



Why?  Because Anna's MIL, Tina, is no longer a statistic 
of the 1 in 8 women who will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
Tina is now fighting the fight of her life. 


This fight is near and dear to me because many of my friends have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
I am also a proud volunteer at The James Stitching Sisters
who make kwilts for cancer patients going thru treatments
here in Columbus, OH
Since 2005 JSS has given out over 8,000 kwilts

For this hop you will find pink blocks being made by participants, for a kwilt being donated to
The Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion in Michigan

Here is my tutorial for a 
SCRAPPY SQAURE BLOCK
Grab those pink scraps! 




 and build a quick scrappy block!


Begin with a fun scrap for the center of the block
(like these fun scissors)



Keep sewing pieces from your scraps to each side of the center block.


Sew the pieces using 1/4" seam and press


Trim the edges after pressing to square up the block


Build the block to the "unfinished" size you need.
Use this simple formula SCRAP, SEW, PRESS, TRIM 



 My finished block is a 12 1/2" square.
Anna can use this size as is, or trim it down to fit wherever needed.
Because its SCRAPPY it is size forgiving and designer wise!
 It's a great block for a "combined effort" kwilt 



 Anna is hosting a give-away on August 2nd 
and there are many ways to enter this blog hop contest 
to win great prizes.  

  • Make a block and send to Anna (details here)
  • Repost about this hop on your blog and let Anna know
  • Make a monetary donation to help with Tina's medial expenses click here


And now the bloggers who know how to 
"Fight for PINKS SAKE"


7 comments:

  1. so sorry to read about Anna`s Mum,will add this block on my list of things to make and send it off asap

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the block. I didn't know the James gave quilts. Do you only take pink quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the block. I didn't know the James gave quilts. Do you only take pink quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, thanks so much for participating! I love the block you made and it arrived safely at my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! What a great block to kick off an awesome hop for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful block for a wonderful cause, Cancer is so scary, wishing the best for Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all that you do towards the fight for Breast Cancer Kathy. It really does make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If I don’t respond...sometimes I don’t get a comment notification. Sorry.